He is committed to a philosophy of healing, rather than one of simply ameliorating symptoms. He provides outstanding care to his patients and their families, using medications when necessary, weaning patients off them when possible, and offering hope and help for those suffering with a variety of mental health or substance abuse issues.
Children, Adolescents, and Adults suffering from:
- Sleep Disorders
- Substance abuse / addictions
- Marijuana abuse
- Opioid addiction and dependence
- Autism Spectrum Disorder or Autism
- PTSD: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder, also called manic depression
- Eating Disorders
- Intellectual Disability
Dr. Rasheed also provides education and support for the families of those dealing with the above issues.
For more information regarding Description of Treatment, click here
Dr Rasheed is a psychiatrist in McLean, VA who specializes in comprehensive psychiatric care for all ages. He has over 10 years of experience in helping patients and their families cope with ADHD, anxiety disorders, substance abuse issues, depression, autism, and bipolar disorders. He provides treatments that combine therapy and medications when necessary, bringing healing where possible, and offering stability and balance where a complete cure is not to be looked for, so that the patient can move forward in strength. He has great expertise in the pharmacology of medications, including stimulants, non-stimulants, anti-depressants, benzodiazepines, mood stabilizers, sleep medications, anti-psychotics, and anti-anxiety medications.
- Dr. Rasheed grew up in the Northern Virginia area. He graduated from George Mason University with two degrees – B.A. in History and B.S. in Biology.
- Dr. Rasheed completed the Adult Psychiatry Residency program at Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine in Akron, Ohio.
- He completed Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship at Drexel University College of Medicine in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Dr. Rasheed was awarded the LoudounNow Favorite Psychiatrist Award for 2016
- Dr. Rasheed and his wife Dr. Afzal Rasheed – Family Practice Physician, are raising 4 kids – ranging from recent college graduate to 3 y/o toddler.
ADHD: Over 10 years of experience in treating preschoolers, elementary through high schoolers, college students, and adults with stimulants and non-stimulants. He has expertise in preventing abuse and addictions to these medications. He works with parents for the best optimal response in the patient.
Anxiety: Extensive experience in treating various anxiety disorders, including Panic Disorder, OCD, PTSD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. He has found that patients with moderate to severe anxiety respond best to a regimen of therapy and medications. He monitors his patients for any abuse of benzodiazepines.
Depression: Dr Rasheed believes that medications and therapy working together have the best outcome for patients with moderate to severe depression. He will determine any other co-morbid diagnoses and will treat accordingly. He will also rule out any medical disorders causing or contributing to the patient’s depression.
Autism Spectrum Disorder: Will treat underlying disorders that contribute to patient’s difficulties and will work with therapies (behavioral, CBT, and ABA) provided by the appropriate therapists.
Bipolar and Schizophrenia Disorders: Will confirm the diagnosis and then treat accordingly with medication and will work with the patient’s therapist to maintain stability.
Substance Abuse Issues: Provides expertise in substance abuse issues and will treat with medication if needed to help resolve the issue. Suboxone treatment is available when necessary. However, he will only treat the issue with medication when the patient’s function is impaired in multiple areas. He has the patient’s best interests in mind and will try to wean patient off the medication whenever the patient has progressed beyond the need for it.
Psychoeducation: Sleep hygiene, mental health issues, substance abuse issues (marijuana, tobacco, cocaine, heroin, synthetic marijuana, other illegal drugs), and medication compliance
Brief family therapy and education: The dynamics of mental health issues and substance abuse issues and their impacts on family members
Initial Psychiatric Evaluation (1 hour): During this session, Dr Rasheed will
- Meet and evaluate patient’s current treatment needs. Dr Rasheed will rule out any medical disorders masquerading as mental health disorders and make the appropriate referrals if needed.
- Work to achieve understanding of patient’s personal situation and goals for treatment.
- Map out personal and psychiatric history and family medical history.
- Discuss diagnosis with patient, review different options for treatment, and develop a personalized treatment plan, including a combination of therapy and/or medications if necessary. The patient will be involved in every stage of this development, as his consent is essential to the treatment’s success.
- Appropriate laboratory tests may be ordered.
- If necessary, acquire information from previous providers, relations, etc. ONLY with patient’s signed consent.
Follow up Medication Service with Psychoeducation and Supportive Therapy (20 minutes)
Telepsychiatry Services is available for initial evaluation and follow up appointments
Telepsychiatry is an innovative practice in healthcare that applies telemedicine to the field of psychiatry. It generally refers to the delivery of psychiatric assessment and care via telecommunications technology, usually videoconferencing.
- Telepsychiatry is a component of Telemedicine.
- Telemedicine is the use of telecommunication and information technology to provide clinical health care from a distance. It has been used to overcome distance barriers and to improve access to medical services.
Suboxone Services available
Electronic prescribing and patient portal available
Referrals to appropriate therapeutic services if needed